<$BlogRSDUrl$>

curious thoughts and remembrances

Sunday, February 15, 2004

Drinking in Massachusetts 

Hello,

I'm reporting to you live from inside the Smiths' house in Georgetown, Massachusetts. I have been drinking margaritas and Harpoon IPA and playing the "dictionary game". Several members of my extended family are inebriated, and my aunt Peggy came out with a narrow victory over me, trotting in at second place.

Today was a celebration of my grandmother's 85th birthday. There were a total of about 30 or 40 people at the Smiths' house to eat and celebrate. This morning, before the celebration, I went to church with my whole extended family. My grandmother's church is a Congregational church founded in the early 1700's. The pastor was a man of about 29 who looked like Harry Potter. He gave a very moving sermon that started off with elementary school nostalgia of Valentine's Day and the politics of friendship in 3rd grade, then moved seamlessly into a somewhat political (religious? hard to tell the difference) speech on the issue of recognizing same-sex marriages, and how the history of the congregational church has always been progressive (they were quite ahead of most denominations with regards to civil rights for women and minorities). He was all about recognizing same-sex marriages. It was really cool to be in a very old church with mostly very old people, hearing a pastor talk to them about acceptance of gay marriage, and it looking like he was already "preaching to the choir".

Check out this picture of my grandma from 1941: click here. Warning: it's a big photo. I think she looks pretty. It was taken on the farm she grew up on.

So, I have one and a half more days here. I'm sad to have to go so soon. I've been having a really great time. I love travelling, and this large gathering of family is something that hasn't happened in at least 15 years. My grandmother, her 3 children (my Dad being one of them), and their families. It's been really great.

IT'S 12 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT HERE! I HAVE ALMOST THAT MANY FINGERS!!!!!

Well, maybe I'll go have another beer. Maybe watch a movie with the folks. It's almost midnight here, though. Maybe sleep. I shouldn't even be writing this now because I'm missing time with them. But, for posterity's sake, I had to jot a couple things. Peace out.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?