<$BlogRSDUrl$>

curious thoughts and remembrances

Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Job. All I can think about is job. 

Last week my boss at the "start-up" told me that they're not doing too hot, financially-speaking. So, he's cutting my hours in half. At least I'm not the guy who got fired. This change, of course, means that I have to find... A NEW JOB! I can't support myself on 20 hours a week. Funny, it's like I'm experiencing that whole dot-com boom of the nineties... new office, vaguely-defined job duties, and lay-offs when the company goes down in flames. The main difference is that I haven't been seeing much of that venture capital going into my wallet.

I thought that I was already broken as broken could be. I relatively kicked ass in school, graduated, looked for two months for a job, seriously started compromising my ideals (at least in my head, if not in my actions), and took a job where they don't even pay me half of what I'm worth. And I just took it. I got caught up in the common work day, feeling tired when I got home, and my search for "better work" slowly tapered off. Now I'm back in the game, looking again. I like to think that this experience has been good, and that my next job will pay well. I'm not talking stellar, just well. But, I don't think the next one will be any better (that's brokenmanChadwick speaking). I need another job, now. I can't bide my time waiting for something good to pop up in the paper, I need money.

It might be time to pack up and go. I know I won't do it until the summer, at the earliest, but really, now is probably the time. I'm not pursuing a career in Austin, and the non-career jobs pay dick, it seems. I would have been happy working at JP's!!! But even they didn't want me. Maybe I was a little too greasy at the interview. It's no Spiderhouse, after all.

It's 1am. I have to wake up at 8am. I'm going to be tired tomorrow. I'm in a bad mood when I'm tired. I was tired today. That's why this post is a bitch-fest. I shouldn't stay up so late. I should be more responsible. I'm 23. I'm just asking for another bad day when I stay up this late. Maybe I'll have some good dreams. Maybe I'll be able to sleep on my back so that my back feels good in the morning when I wake up. I was going to shower tonight, but now I think I'll shower tomorrow morning. My skin gets really dry in the winter. I think it's because my showers are too hot, because the air is too cold. I hate dry skin. At least I have gloves. Gloves are good. Except when your hands get sweaty inside of them, and you're not sure which is better (which is worse), to leave them on and sweat or to take them off and have cold hands that aren't so sweaty. I'll try, Lord, I'll try, not to get a latte at Starbucks tomorrow morning. I'll get the Texaco coffee. It's cheaper and it doesn't support Starbucks. But it supports Texaco. And the lady there weirds me out. Starbucks is so warm and cozy, and they play music there. But they're bad. They kill local coffee shops. Maybe I'll go to Little City on Congress instead. But their lattes aren't as good. And I'll have to walk 3 or 4 more blocks if I go there. That will make me late for work. Then I won't get paid as much. Money rules the world. Make no mistake.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?