<$BlogRSDUrl$>

curious thoughts and remembrances

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

MSG, yeah you know me 

Tonight after Lovejoy's, I went by Paul's place, where he held what he purported to be the best-tasting chips he'd ever had. I took one look at them and somehow knew: MSG. Sure enough, a quick look at the ingredients yielded: salt, oil, monosodium glutamate, among others. Damn they were tasty. I told him that I'd heard MSG enhanced flavor by causing small cuts in the surface of one's tongue, thus enabling the flavor particles to get at your taste buds more directly. I think this is probably bullshit, though. My ignorance is, once again, nothing that Google can't solve. Did you know that there exists a Glutamate Association in America? And according to this article, MSG has no adverse health effects. However, this other article claims that MSG causes rats to lose their vision, and can cause nerve damage. One thing's for sure: it tastes good. I urge my fellow citizens to try a "monosodium glutamate" Google search and decide for yourselves.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?